Monday, January 17, 2011

breathing is highly overrated

Having Asthma is a bummer, and you need to take medication every day to keep your lungs functioning as good as possible. Exercise is important, best be done in fresh air.
It is recommended to go jogging twice a week for half an hour.
Aerobic training is the key.

So ... what are you supposed to do in the season of flying around germs?
As a person with asthma
you better dont get a common cold.
It makes normal people feel miserable for a week.
They complain about how they "cant breathe" with that stuffed up nose, and how their chest hurts from all the coughing.

Now imagine how it feels for someone with asthma, where the bronchii will spasm with every cough, no air at all being able to go through when they do that,
and all chemicals (perfume, smoke from the apartment besides the one you are in, deodorant aerosols and so on), cold, damp air, exertion, cause coughing fits in addition to the ones, you have because of that cold.

The antiinflammation medication you need to inhale can not get to where the inflammation is because of the mucus, crap that is built up on the mucous membranes. You need to loosen it up and cough it out, and there the circle closes, that is hard to almost impossible when there are those spasms.

So a cold takes much longer to clear up for someone with several illnesses (comorbidities).

And why am I telling you all this?

well, around the first christmas holiday, I got this cold, and I really thought, I had stopped my sports training long enough to recover, so I went to yoga class again last Wednesday, and guess, what happened?

Here I sit, all drained, coughing my soul out, having a really nasty respiratory infection and hooray, doc said to me: "with all you have gone through due to the brain surgeries and with and all those allergies to the antibiotics I would give someone in your place, there is not really anything to do for you except telling you, you need to really rest up and do nothing else than giving your body the chance to heal that infection itself with help of homeopathics"

so lets hope, it works.
I remember in the past, when we went that route, a week after following all instructions I ended up with an antibiotic anyway.

So lay low I do, and live off of what is at home, untill my friend comes back to do the grocery shopping and all the other stuff that needs to be done.

No comments: