Sunday, March 15, 2009

barely alive

All started in the middle of April somehow and came to a climax around a month later. Having excruciating headache, visual apparitions which were mistaken as auras of a migraine and the radiologist having me get an appointment three weeks later.
I probably would not have made it till then, and we managed to get an appointment at another radiologist the next day. He found this 4.2 cm big thing in the left brain hemisphere, and called an ambulance to take me to the clinic right away.

On May 23. I had a brain surgery and it was a really scary experience for the others around me.
At the time it was not for me, I felt strangely taken care of and just took everything in as it was.
My right side was paralyzed by the time they did the surgery and it was not feeling anything out of order for me.
I even fell and could not judge how severe the paralysis had become untill I was on the floor in the bathroom and could not get up on my own.
Nothing was hurt except the pride ... needing help getting up and back into bed.

I had to spend 14 days in hospital untill the histological results were there, no parasitic cyst, as they suspected, just old bleeding of unclear genesis.

Then I was home for a whopping 5 days, and in that time the paralysis started to get worese again, and a fever developed, so back to the hospital, new CT, MRI and emergency surgery to remove the newly built up cyst. They suspected infection but the histological samples did not prove it right, it was called abcess, and I was given a course of antibiotics IV and released after another 14 days on a Friday.

Then I had to go back on Monday morning to have the stitches removed.

After getting home from that, big yellow goop oozed out of the wound and I had to go back the same afternoon and the third surgery was necessary to remove the infected bone part and clean out the wound to make sure nothing of it went into the brain. Though it seemed to be limited to the surface, they still told me there would be a 4 week IV treatment with Vancomycin and Cephtacidim.
This time was the worst of all this, seven IV treatments covered over 24 hours, meaning every nightsleep was disrupted with the very painful vanco treatment. For a total of six weeks then.
It still happens very often that I can not get to sleep before 1 in the morning since this was the time of the last Vanco of the day.

Physically I have survived everything and the scars have healed. My veins are brittle from the aggressive IV treatment and it is hard to find a vessel for drawing blood now without causing the vessels to pop.
I have to go in for regular checkups and so far everything is ok from the Neurosurgeons point of view.
Mentally this was a really hard time and I dont know how I will deal with it, it still is not over yet.
It also affects our partnership and is a strain on all of us.

No comments: