Wednesday, October 03, 2007

solar eclipse Aug.11. 2003


solar eclipse Aug.11. 2003
Originally uploaded by nanawoolf.
I had this in paper print since it was taken by me and finally got the chance to digify it.

This was such a cool event back then. I was working at a call-center at the time, and I took the day off, so I could drive more towards the region in south Germany where it was said the sight would be most spectacular. We intended to drive all the way to Stuttgart, but others were having the same idea, so we ended up in a traffic jam on the Autobahn.

So we could see more and not from the car, we had decided to exit and took the next path into some rural roads and ended up on a meadow where a group of young people were having a picknick already and a british family joined us to whitness the eclipse from there. On the radio we heard that in Stuttgart the skies had closed and the people gathered there had not much from the eclipse. We in change had overcast skies, but the sight was not obscured, and it cleared up quite properly for the time the moon was moving in front of the sun.

I had built a filter for my camera, but I did not have a zoom objective, so the 'SOFI' pictures were a lot of skies with a really small image of the eclipse, but I took them myself and am proud of them.

Here you see my two sisters and the bf of the older one. Only one 'official' pair of protector glasses, but the rescue foil taken doubled I had used to build the filter for my camera was fine for watching this celestial spectacle, and we all still have our vision.

I had to blog about it, it was the coolest astronomy related thing that happened to me in my lifetime.

No comments: